Search Engine Optimization (SEO) has been around for as long as Google and other search engines. It is one of the best, cost-effective ways to bring search engine traffic to your website. But, why do you need SEO? Well, the competition has increased very much, especially in the last decade or so.
If you want to survive in this business world, you will have to do better than your competitors. No matter how best quality services you are providing, it is all in vain unless you have the right way to communicate your services to your potential clients. SEO gives you that benefit. Let’s talk about SEO for lawyers and law businesses.
Just like any other online business industry, lawyers have been struggling to get traffic (and leads) from search engines. The reason is same, high competition. So, what can you, as a lawyer, do to beat the competition and rank your law firm well in search engines. Law firm SEO is the answer. What exactly is law firm SEO and how to do that? Let’s find out.
SEO for Lawyers and Law Firms
If you are looking for a way to get quick ranks for your law firm website, SEO is probably not for you. The first thing you need to understand is that quality SEO efforts would take time to show results, however, those results would be significant and for a very long-term.
This is why it is recommended to choose a professional and experienced law firm SEO company/person for the job. This guide intends to teach you the basic (and some advanced) SEO tactics to help you with search engine optimization of your law website.
The first step of SEO is to improve your product or service. No SEO technique can work for you unless your service is of top-notch quality. Even if you somehow manage to bring clients through SEO, you cannot expect to retain them unless you provide professional law services to their satisfaction. Some examples of high-quality customer care services are mentioned below.
- Multiple platforms such as company blog, social pages, etc for clients to interact with you
- Quick and professional response to clients’ queries
- Timely delivery of services
- Free professional consultation, etc.
If your services are below quality, it is high time to improve them.
The right marketing at the right time
The timing is another very important factor in the SEO of a law firm. Law is one of those industries that are not time bound. People may need your expert help and consultation at any time, even in the middle of the night.
Now, it depends on whether you are available to provide that service at that time. I am not saying that you should be working 24 hours or not sleep. But you should definitely create a mechanism where someone from your law firm is always there to help your clients and to listen to their queries, at any time of the day and night.
One way to do that is giving your clients multiple ways to communicate with you, including social pages, direct contact (email & phone number), whatsapp, etc.
This way even if you are not available to help someone at a given moment, you client can drop you a mail or message to which you can reply as soon as you are available. See, client service is really simple if you just understand the right methods.
Finding the right SEO professional
If you haven’t got one already, you should immediately find and hire a professional SEO provider (preferably an SEO company) with some experience in the marketing of law firms. Why? I am assuming that you know everything about law and have the best lawyers on payroll, but do you know enough about SEO? If not, you need someone who can at least guide you to the right path and take marketing responsibilities out of your hands, so that you can focus on your core business, law services.
Finding the right SEO firm is a big deal. Unlike law, SEO is not bound by regulations and many (a big number of) SEO individuals and companies are out there just to cheat you out of your money.
The right way to find the right SEO help is to vet properly the person/company you are considering to hire. Here are some signs of a bad law SEO provider.
- They use obsolete techniques
- Do not follow search engine guidelines
- Outsource their work to cheap/unprofessional people
- Reuse or spam content
- Fabricate performance reports
Conduct a thorough interview with the SEO company you are planning to hire, discuss your project in detail, ask suggestions and recommendations, enquire about their SEO process and steps, meet the SEO persons/manager face-to-face if possible, visit the premises, contact their clients, read the reviews, and make a very calculated decision.
Another great way to figure out good SEO firms from the bad ones is getting some knowledge of SEO yourself. This is exactly what this guide intends to do. Let’s get started.
How to do SEO for a Law Firm?
Remember, SEO is simple but not easy. It is a step-by-step process that will surely take time but more definitely it will produce results. SEO is about the fundamentals. The more you know the basics, the better you can do it. So, let’s start with the basics itself.
What is SEO? It is a process of improving the value of a target website with the aim to get its target keywords rank higher in popular search engines like Google, which in turn brings more customers/leads/ROI to the target business.
What is SEO for lawyers? Apart from the basic definition, it involves some special tweaks for law firms. Here is how you optimize a law firm business.
- Get the word out there about your law firm/business. This includes promoting your business through social media, forums, question-answer sites, guest blogging, PR, traditional marketing and many other ways.
- Find your target customers and identify their issues/problems and requirements so that proper solutions can be derived. This may involve a lot of research both offline and online.
- Once you have the right solution, try making your prospects come to your website/social pages/office in search of that service. This again involves the use of link building and other SEO strategies to get the word out there.
- Content marketing: Create high-quality, relevant and optimized content to convince your customers to try the service or hire you.
- Analyze your competitors, find out secrets to their success, differences between them and you, and create a plan to beat them in the right way.
- Be visible and active on social media. Listen to your customers and be always ready to help them in every way possible. Target customer satisfaction and not the money
Avoid pitfalls: SEO is not all good. One bad move and you can end up losing your credibility and reputation of years. This is why it is important to have proper knowledge of the various SEO tactics, including white-hat (good) and black-hat (bad) SEO so that you do not make these usual SEO mistakes. Here are some other things you should avoid doing:
- Hiring a wrong SEO expert/firm
- Dedicating no time to SEO
- Trying everything without planning
- Doing blackhat in hope for quick results
- Thinking that SEO is dead: It isn’t, it has just evolved.
Tracking and reporting: Apart from the SEO part, it is also equally important to track your progress to have an understanding of what is working for your law firm SEO. There are several free (and some paid) tools like Moz Pro, Aherfs, Google Analytics, SEM Rush, Raven Tools, etc, which can help you keep track of your SEO efforts, Furthermore, your SEO guy/company can always guide you with the right way to track your progress.
Most of the SEO techniques that work for other industries would also work for your law firm, given that you have a clear understanding of these techniques and how to implement them in the best way for your benefit. If not, do not hesitate to contact a good SEO firm for help.
SAG IPL is a Jaipur based IT firm providing online marketing (SEO) services to lawyers and law firms all over the world for past 10+ years. Contact us for a free consultation about your project or to get a free quote.